Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow Driving!

Posted by Tim

What a weekend!  Well, it was pretty cool at the minimum.  Yesterday morning I hand my mind set on going to Salt Lake and getting my hair cut and running some errands.  I woke up around 8:00 and there was a storm blowing snow at virtually a 90 degree angle and the roads looked pretty treacherous.  I decided to go anyway.  What was I thinking?

 

I got in I-80 and it was not horrible but pretty bad.  I pretty much went 35 mph or slower the entire way to Salt Lake.  It was pretty scary at a few points but I never really slid out or anything.  Just big clumps of snow and it was hard to see the lanes.  Luckily most everyone else was going really slowly as well so that helped.

 

I got my haircut really quickly at Supercuts and decided to go to Wal Mart to stock up on some groceries.  No one realizes it but the Wal Marts out here are more expensive than even California.  Doesn't really make much sense but it's true.  Oh well.  I got a bunch of things, including two donuts for my sugar fix, and took off to see Slumdog Millionaire.  It was a really good movie and I thought it was pretty close to the 8.7 it got on imdb.  Lastly I ate a mahi burrito at Rubio's to reminisce my 3 time a week San Diego habit.  It was pretty good but after only 2 months I couldn't even remember how to order what I used to order.  That shit pisses me off.  Sometimes my memory just makes me feel stupid and certainly frustrated.  What happened?  I used to remember every single thing that ever happened to me.

 

I made it home safely and got all the way to the driveway and things got interesting.  I  started up the driveway and it was pretty much pure ice.  I couldn't make it up.  I started sliding towards the rocks on the edge and my car was at an angle.  I was a little freaked out.  I got my downstair's roommate to help and we tried salt, his old chains, and pushing but we couldn't get it up the driveway.  The landlord came home with her friend and he told me to back down and make a run for it.  I did and managed to barely make it up.  Wow.

 

driveway

 

You can see the tracks which are pretty much pure ice and the driveway is steeper than it looks.

 

Today I went skiing again at the Canyon's.  It was way different this time.  A lot more snow and powder and it was way harder for me to control things and way harder on my legs.  I almost wiped out 10 times or so.  I would start to feel like I was going to wax it and I would somehow pull out of it.  It got better but I need to get better.  I'm probably trying to ski like a pro already and just skiing above my ability.  We'll see.

 

When I got home I had another difficult time making it up the driveway.  Not sure what I'm going to do.  My roommate has new snow tires and he can make it up without a running start.  They really do make a difference.  Maybe I need to get some but I tend to get stubborn about things.  Also when I closed my passenger door today the side mirror fell off.  This cold is really freaking hard on cars.

 

Updated view of the backyard:

 

backyard

 

I skied the mountain to the right in the distance.  Well, here I go into another week.  I hope it snows a shitload this week and I won't have to worry about driving.  It is definitely a different world here getting through and maneuvering through the snow.

 

On the lift back down this evening I met a guy and his family who were really nice.  He is a second unit director and has a house in Park City.  Pretty cool.  All kinds of people out here for sure.  I'm off to a meeting and ship a box.  Sold my cheap camera that I didn't like for 30 dollars more than I paid.  Amazon is the best for a lot of items.  Things that go for $4 on ebay can be sold on Amazon for $30.  Later.

0 comments: