Sunday, December 7, 2008

Skiing!!

Posted by Tim

I finally went skiing yesterday at the Canyons.  It snowed a little during the week and combined with the man made stuff they were able to open a run.  I gathered all my gear up in the morning and put it in the car.  I felt like a little kid and I was smiling from ear to ear as I was so excited.  It was a beautiful sunny day, kind of like when I skied 8 years ago, and I took off around 9:00am. 

 

I managed to finally get my boots and gear on and there was quite a walk to the lift.  I didn't know I was supposed to keep the boots loose so I had a hell of a time trying to walk in them.  Once I got on the lift I headed up to the main resort area.

 

ski3

 

Even though it felt relatively warm in the sun, my hands almost froze solid in a few minutes without gloves.  I made sure to leave them on from then on.  I made it to the easiest run of the day, a green run, and I was pretty much the only one on the lift.  Not many newbies yesterday.  I went down the green run a few times and slowly got the hang of it again.  It was very strange at first and a few times my skis dug in on the side and I felt like I was going to wipe out.   After getting more confident I headed up to the blue run open.

 

ski4

 

It was way steeper and a lot of fun.  I met an older guy who has been skiing for years and he stated that I need to learn how to turn quicker and better.  Basically I just fly down fast and turn when I need to slow down.  It works but there is no way to ski blacks and trees like that.  So, I started working on turns the rest of the day.  It was pretty difficult and I found it more and more challenging as my legs began fatiguing more and more.

 

I finally called it a day after about 2 hours and felt that was enough for my first day.  No sense in getting crazy sore and I don't think working on form crazy tired would have worked anyway.  I took a quick picture before boarding the lift back down.

 

ski2

 

I got on the gondola and it felt nice to sit down.  I rode down with some 17 year old Salt Lake kids and they were really nice.  Talked about the area and living in the mountains.  Here is a view going back down.

 

ski1

 

Overall it was a good time and I can't wait until it really dumps snow and the whole mountain is open.  It looks to go for days and it will be awesome getting back in there and getting better and better.  Can't wait.  Now I'm off to enjoy Sunday before heading back to work and the routine tomorrow! 

0 comments: