Monday, September 1, 2008

Nice Weekend!

Posted by Tim

Well, I had a good weekend.  Certainly a lot better than July 4th, comparing it to the other holiday weekend this summer.  Saturday morning I went to play tennis at the Carlsbad meetup.  I started off a little shaky as I hadn't played in 2 weeks but settled in and won all the matches of doubles.  It was fun being out there again and I felt good about the way I played.  My serve was humming decently after a few sets and I was pretty consistent with my forehand.

 

As I might have mentioned in the past, I tend to find a food I like at some restaurant and then just hammer away at it for weeks or months on end until I get tired of it.  Right now is the Mahi Mahi burrito at Rubio's.  Sounds kind of gross, at least it did to me, but after tiring of the steak burrito I gave it a shot.  It was awesome.  I ate it both days this weekend.

 

Sunday started with me heading downtown to try a new church.  The Rock is a fairly large church near downtown in the tradition of Fellowship in Dallas.  The pastor is Miles McPherson and I really enjoyed him and the service.  It was a really nice church and appears fairly new and I laughed quite a bit.  Miles was to have spoken today at the Republican Convention but I didn't watch.  I plan to go back and certainly if I move downtown in the future it will be my spot.

 

After that I met up with a friend from Dallas, Dean.  He was in town visiting a friend so we got together at Starbuck's in Kensington and had a great talk.  We always talk about careers since he got his MBA from UT and seems to know something about nearly every career out there.  He has a friend that has either tried it, done it, or is doing it.  Cool stuff.  We went over to his friend's house and it was really cool, other than the large bumblebees that were flying around.  I don't know but I just can't get comfortable around those damn things.  Wow.  He had a really cool boxer dog that was laid back and non needy that I pet for a while.  Sorry Rufus.

 

After meeting with Dean I went to Fashion Valley to get some food and the famous peanut butter shake and kill some time before meeting up with a woman from Match.  I talked to Dawn later in the afternoon and told her I was going to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona and she mentioned she wanted to see it as well so we decided to see it together later.  Not the typical recommended first date according to most books but I don't care about that shit.  It was something we both wanted to do in the moment.  She showed up at the mall about 2 hours before the movie to give us some time to talk and get to know each other so we walked around and window shopped and checked out some stores.  It was pretty cool even though she was all about the high dollar shoes and purses and handbags and.....

We went to the movie and it was really good.  Of course I indulged my fantasy of living in Spain and having the Spanish girlfriend; although not as crazy as the Mary Elena character I would hope!  After the movie we just walked through the closed mall and talked for a while.  It was cool and good to meet her.  She turns 40 this week so that is certainly older than the 26 year olds I normally pursue who blow me off.  I think she was interested in hanging out again so we'll see.

 

Tomorrow is another work day for the world.  I got the idea when talking to Dean about getting a job at the bookstore.  It might only pay $8 an hour but even if I work 20 hours a week it will get me out of the house and I just love books.  Also since they are open 12 or more hours a day I could work early and have the afternoons off or work at night and have all day off.  I'll see as I still have to go and do it.  I also want to revisit the Chart House and see if they are looking for people at all.  Otherwise there is a big Action sports industry Schmooze fest this Friday downtown that I'm going to check out and bring some resumes.  Action.

0 comments: